The successful candidate will actively participate in the following areas:
• Teaching and practical training of undergraduate and postgraduate veterinary and veterinary nursing students in Equine surgery;
• Clinical service in the Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital, surrounding community and satellite clinics, including participation in a 24-hour service;
• Postgraduate training and supervision where appropriate;
• Research and publication in scientific journals;
• Networking with relevant industry stakeholders;
• Community engagement;
• Administrative and other duties as delegated by the Head of Department; and
• Academic self-development.
• A BVSc- or BVMCh-degree or equivalent professional veterinary qualification;
• For specialists: MMedVet-degree in Equine surgery and/or equivalent specialty board certification; be in the process of completion of a PhD; and registration with the SAVC as a specialist in Equine surgery or eligibility for registration within a reasonable period; and at least five full peer reviewed papers in ISI accredited scientific journals as senior author or co-author;
• For non-specialists: A PhD degree in Equine surgery; and at least ten full peer reviewed papers in ISI accredited scientific journals as senior author or co-author in Equine surgery;
• Five years’ relevant veterinary experience in Equine surgery;
• Evidence of participation in research and discipline forums; and
• Postgraduate supervision.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
• Proven knowledge and competence in Equine surgery;
• Research interest appropriate to the position;
• Commitment to develop a teaching and learning portfolio required at the relevant teaching level.
• Candidates without a PhD: Commitment to complete a PhD in a reasonable period of time
• Good language and communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills; and
• Generic teaching competence including proficiency with presentation, word-processing and spreadsheet software.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
• Experience with relevant specialised procedures, techniques and tools, e.g. software;
• Tertiary teaching and mentoring experience; and
• Exposure to research in an appropriate field.