Offered Salary To be discussed
Qualifications Master’s Degree
Industry Research, science & technology
Centre Scientia - Pretoria
For more info, please email us at [email protected]
send your application to this mailbox,it is for inquiries only.
Where to submit application
The CSIR has a bursary opportunity in the Climate and Air Quality Modelling Research Group, within the Smart Places Cluster. The purpose of the studentship is to provide the suitable candidate with financial assistance towards their Doctoral studies.
For more information about the cluster, please visit https://www.csir.co.za/smart-places
The research will focus on improving the seamless forecasting system by exploring features of the climate system on the Southern hemisphere that are key for improving the skill of seasonal forecasts through an earth system model. Much focus of the study will be based on the climate change associated behavioural change of the El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO), which has impacts on extreme weather worldwide. The predictability of the onset of El Nino relevant season initialization will be studied to inform actions toward mitigating impacts of its possible severity. The project will contribute towards the advancement of the use of artificial intelligence (AI) algorithms for climate science. In particular, interpretable Machine Learning (ML) will be used to uncover the drivers of predictability for the seasonal forecasting through an exploration of the earth system model outputs.
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in physical or mathematical sciences with at least an application in atmospheric physics, climatology or similar;
- The candidate must have strong analytical skills with basics in either R, Python, C++, C, FORTRAN or Bash computer programming languages;
- Exposure to machine learning algorithms will be an added advantage;
- A publication in atmospheric science or related field will be advantageous;
- An ability to communicate well in both spoken and written English will be an advantage.
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.