Seven Ways to Prepare for An Interview
Interviews can be intimidating, but I think we need to change our mindset and understand exactly why interviews were created. Interviews are designed to let you shine, so being extra prepared can help you impress the interviewer and put you ahead of your competitors to get your dream job.
Here are seven ways to help you prepare for a successful interview:
- Start by doing research to gain an understanding of the organisation by reading the company’s website, reviews, recent press coverage and going through their social media accounts to get a sense of the company’s priorities and the culture, this will enable you to formulate a strategy for answering the interviewer’s questions.
- Analyse the job description to identify what the job entails and what the company is looking for in the candidate and articulate how your qualifications, competencies and accomplishments match with what the company is looking for in an employee.
- Rehearse your answers to common interview questions this will assist you in managing your nerves and help you respond to the questions without scrambling for answers.
- Conduct mock interviews with a friend this will help you to improve your confidence and relieve anxiety.
- Interviewers often ask if you have any questions for them, therefore show interest by preparing at least five or more questions to ask about the company and the vacant position.
- Get ready ahead of time, pick out an interview outfit, print extra copies of your resume on the day before the interview when requested to do so, and make for travel arrangements to ensure that you arrive early and that everything goes smoothly on the day of the interview.
- Be presentable and ensure that your attire is neat, clean and appropriate.
The best way to ace your interview is to practice. The more you practice, the better you will get. So, take the time to prepare for your interview, and make the best impression possible.