SCIENTIST PRODUCTION GRADE A – C REF NO: 171123/02
Branch: Infrastructure Management: Central Operation
Dir: Technical Support
Div: Environmental Engineering
(Re-advertisement applicants who previously applied are encouraged to re-apply)
SALARY: R687 879 – R1 035 084 per annum, (all-inclusive OSD salary package), (offer will be based on proven years of experience)
CENTRE: Free State
Science degree (BSc) (Hon) or relevant qualification. Compulsory registration with the South African Council of Natural Scientific Professions (SACNASP) as a professional Natural Scientist. Three (3) years post-qualification natural-scientific experience. The disclosure of a valid unexpired driver’s license. Knowledge, professional experience, and comprehensive training in resource management planning, monitoring and use of global information system (GIS), mapping tools and desktop assessment methods. Knowledge and experience in environmental impact assessments and alien plants management. Ability to analyse and interpret water and environmental related data. Good interpersonal relations, communication (verbal and written) and organizational skills, technical report writing and knowledge of environmental related information systems. Understanding of Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM). Knowledge of the National Water Act, 1998 (NWA, Act No. 36 of 1998) and Knowledge and understanding of the water sector: relevant legislations (CARA and NEMA, MPRDA and other specific environmental management act) together with the related policies, regulations, principles, guidelines, tools, and procedures; policy development, implementation, and monitoring. Knowledge and understanding on Chapter 11 of the National Water Act, 1998 (Act No. 36 of 1998). Computer literate. Data analysis. Presentation skills. Mentoring. Decision making. Analytical skills. Creativity. Problem solving and analysis. Innovation. Good technical, scientific report writing and interpretation skills. Ability to work productively in an environment consisting of interdisciplinary internal and external stakeholders. Sound interpersonal skills as well as willingness to work irregular hours and travel extensively in remote areas.
- Environmental Management of all construction activities undertaken by the cluster/s.
- Facilitate the development of the Resource Management Plans on state dams and implementation thereof.
- Plan and implement waste management strategies within the cluster/s. Manage alien plant (aquatic and terrestrial) management activities.
- Implementation of other related legislation dealing with access and use of state dams.
- Land use Management. Assess and provide recommendations on applications for commercial and recreational water use activities at state dams especially with regards to PFMA and Treasury Regulation requirements.
- Represent the department in various fora, including participation in the infrastructure project management processes.
- Develop terms of reference and assist in the management of PSP’s where required. Assist with the facilitation of training and career development of staff. Supervision of staff.
Department of Water and Sanitation, Private Bag X528, Bloemfontein, 9300 or hand deliver to Bloem Plaza Building, second floor, Corner Charlotte Maxeke & East Burger Street, second floor Bloemfontein.
Women and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply and preference will be given to the EE Targets.
ENQUIRIES: Mr. A Sayed, Tel No: (012) 741 7307
CLOSING DATE: 17 November 2023