SCIENTIST PRODUCTION GRADE A – C REF NO: 011223/03
Branch: Infrastructure Management: Central Operation
Dir: Technical Support
(Re-advertisement applicants who previously applied are encouraged to re-apply)
SALARY: R687 879 – R1 035 084 per annum, (all-inclusive OSD salary package), (offer will be based on proven years of experience)
A Science degree (BSc) (Hon) or relevant qualification. Compulsory registration with the South African Council of Natural Scientific Professions (SACNASP) as a professional Natural Scientist. Three (3) years post qualification Natural Scientific experience. The disclosure of a valid unexpired driver’s license. Knowledge, professional experience, and comprehensive training in resource management planning, monitoring and use of global information system (GIS), mapping tools and desktop assessment methods. Knowledge and experience in environmental impact assessments and alien plants management. Ability to analyse and interpret water and environmental related data. Good interpersonal relations, organizational skills, technical report writing and knowledge of environmental related information systems. Knowledge and understanding of Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM), National Water Act, 1998 (NWA, Act No. 36 of 1998), and Water Sector: relevant legislations (CARA, NEMA, MPRDA and other specific environmental management) together with the related policies, regulations, principles, guidelines, tools, and procedures; policy development, implementation, and monitoring. Knowledge and understanding on Chapter 11 of the National Water Act, 1998 (Act No. 36 of 1998). Computer literacy. Data analysis, presentation skills, mentoring, decision making. innovation and analytical skills, and creativity. Problem solving and analysis. Good technical, scientific report writing and interpretation skills. Ability to work productively in an environment consisting of interdisciplinary internal and external stakeholders. Good communication skills both (verbal and written). Sound interpersonal skills as well as willingness to work irregular hours and travel extensively in remote areas.
- Environmental Management of all construction activities undertaken by the cluster/s.
- Facilitate the development of the Resource Management Plans on state dams and implementation thereof.
- Plan and implement waste management strategies within the cluster/s.
- Manage alien plant (aquatic and terrestrial) management activities.
- Implementation of other related legislation dealing with access and use of state dams.
- Land use Management. Assess and provide recommendations on applications for commercial and recreational water use activities at state dams especially with regards to PFMA and Treasury Regulation requirements.
- Represent the department in various fora, including participation in the infrastructure project management processes.
- Develop terms of reference and assist in the management of PSP’s where required.
- Assist with the facilitation of training and career development of staff. Supervision of staff.
Central Operation (Pretoria): Please forward your applications quoting the relevant reference number to The Department of Water and Sanitation, Private Bag X273, Pretoria, 0001 or Hand Deliver at Praetor Forum Building, 1st Floor Reception, 267 Lillian Ngoyi Street, Pretoria, 0001.
Women and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply and preference will be given to the EE Targets
ENQUIRIES: Mr. A Sayed Tel No: (012) 741 7307
CLOSING DATE: 1 December 2023